Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Funny thing happened on the way back from Dallas

So, after a week of above 105F temperatures (sorry, but I am a north eastern Canadian boy), the only time we got rain was just as my flight was supposed to leave, at which point a violent thunder boomer moved through the area and my flight ended up departing 2 hours late.

So, yeah, being the anal planner that i am, I missed my connector in Toronto to Halifax. And here are my adventures, be they trite and boring, but proved to be another interesting chapter of my life.

While waiting at the Dallas airport, came across another person who was employed by the same company. He was also Canadian and had relocated to Dallas for work. After introductions, he mentions, "oh, you are so and so...heard a bit about you." All good, I am sure... He was heading home for two weeks of vacation, of which part was to be spent cycling from Toronto, to Buffalo, then back again. Yes, even I had a bit of a man crush when I looked upon him. So, while at the airport, seeing the flight is delayed, being Canadian and all, what do we do? of course head to the pub for some beer.

Once in Toronto, knowing I missed my connector, naturally I was a tad bit concerned. One thought was to hop on the train and have an adventure that way, traveling the rails from Ontario to Halifax. Remarkably, the airline actually had already taken care of me, and booked me on a flight the next day. After having many bad experiences with this airline, I can pleasantly say, kudos, job well done.

So, now, 10:30pm in Toronto, with a flight the next day at 8 am, time to find a place to get some grub and lay my head for a bit. But, low and behold, my trusty MasterCard was not in my wallet, but on the desk back home where I had left it after checking a few things out on the website. So, debit card it is for the remainder of the trip. Luckily, the hotel was able to accommodate me, thanks Faye!!, (although she wasn't able to find the rate quoted to me by the reservation line), and after safely stowing my bags in the room, off I went to the lobby bar for some food, a drink, and finish some work that had been due the day before. So, note to all travelers, for two beer and a smoked meat sandwich, you can expected to shell out $42 at this hotel. And the bar doesn't take debit...and doesn't give you an honest exchange for American dollar to Canadian ($8 American =$7.76 Canadian....uhmmm...). So I had to drain every last dollar and coin to pay off my tab. Sorry Pablo, no tip from me, but since I almost had to wash the dishes... Wireless internet is free in the bar/ lobby though.

The next morning, being already at/in the terminal, I went to the baggage check-in area about 1 1/2 hours before departure. Held up a bit in line, no big deal, still time to grab a coffee and bagel before the fight, or so I thought...

At security, apparently my duty free alcohol, which accompanied my on the flight before, was no longer acceptable. This is now 40 minutes before departure, and I have to run back to the check in area to check my bag with the bottle of Jack and bottle of Smirnoff ( which, coincidentally, Canadian customs let through with nothing more than a "Well, a bit more than your supposed to have, but no biggie"). In the end, it was all worth it, as I shared the flight with Kevin Costner, although apparently nobody else recognized him, including the lady I pointed him out to while awaiting our baggage in Halifax. (Yes, it was actually him. His band was playing in a Country Rock fest that weekend)

So there ya go. Sometimes life throws curve-balls at ya, but in the end, Kevin Costner still has to sit on the same plane as you do. He does get his baggage first though.

No comments: